Saturday, October 1, 2011

A retrospection on transition to industry

I have been working in the software industry for about a month now. So I thought this might be a good time to put down some of my thoughts in writing. To summarize, the transition to industry has been a very good learning experience so far.

Honestly, I am a complete newbie in industry. I did not even have an internship experience in industry before I took off from the Phd program. Although, I did have experience working on a large scale software project that helps scientists/researchers to perform large scale data analysis as part of an academic research experience, but working on software that gets deployed to production and, hopefully, reaps some profits in is a very different world. My experiences have been broadly in academia and in research in the past, and though my proficiency in various programming languages are more than adequate, after starting work in industry as a colleague with industry experts, I realized that there are many things for me yet to learn.

I have picked up a lot of things in a month, especially the myriad set of tools that are used to streamline the whole development to production process. I definitely have a much broader perspective on software now, and coupled with my background in research and academia, I feel more complete as a professional. My startup stint might have been the missing piece to my goal of becoming an accomplished computer scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment